Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sick Croaker

From the beginning:



I got four frogs from a baby sitter (long story) and named them after various Egyptian mythological figures. Horus (the fourth frog) died around 6 months later. I cried for a day, got Nikki to cheer me up, and got over it.



Today I check in on the frogs to see that Osiris (frog #2) was sitting under a leaf. You know when light passes through something and hits a white object it turns the color of what the light passed through? Well, Osiris was green.



All of my frogs, when healthy, are various shades of brown.



Let us also say that when Horus died, he was a sickly pale white-green for about three days.



I flat out panicked. when I moved the leaf to see if Osiris was dead, he moved so little I couldn't tell. Then he jumped and I was able to catch him. He acted as active as usual, accept that he was white. His beautiful splotches and stripes had faded to almost nothing and his eyeshadow was a light brown when it's supposed to be black.



I called Mom to tell her to get food (since by my estimate we hadn't fed them in around two weeks when there supposed to be fed every 3-5 days) for him, but the connection screwed up.



You know that panic you get when you go for help and you have to wait, even if it's only for a little while? Ok, that's what I got.

I met Mom in the garage when she came home with pizza. I told her what happened and almost immediately went right back out to get crickets.

That's where she is now, and I'm sitting here waiting.

Thanks Mom.

No comments: